Difference between revisions of "Backup"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
= Current setup =
= Current setup =
Revision as of 09:32, 14 March 2021
Meeting Saturday 04 April 2021 - 3PM CET Time here: https://bbb.futuretic.fr/b/spi-utv-eo9-lqe
Cita el Sabado 04 de Abril - 3PM CET time aqui: https://bbb.futuretic.fr/b/spi-utv-eo9-lqe
We currently make a nightly backup of all containers from our virtual machine (called
anoia) to the virtual machine of calafou.org (called
We use the backup tool called
duplicity through a package from the Debian repository.
We wrote a script that performs that backup, which is located at
The backup script runs every night around 4am, because we run it via
cron (configured with
sudo crontab -e command).
In the cron job we redirect the script output to
The script stops ALL the containers (to have enough RAM for running
duplicity and to make sure that the databases and other volatile files inside the containers are not changing during the backup), backs up the containers, then starts the containers again. Obviously, while the containers are stopped and the backup is running, the anarchaserver services are not available. We have many ideas about how to do a backup without service interruption, but we have not implemented them yet.
There are many possible improvements to this system:
- Change remote: switch from calafou virtual machine to S14
- Optimise the script: rewrite the script to be a more beautiful program
- Test backup recovery: try to restore the backup to make sure it is possible
- Change the backup tool: use
- Use a backup manager such as
We also have a S14 for setting up the tunnel for backup and openvpn, info about back-tunnel here.
Restore a backup
duplicity scp://firstname.lastname@example.org//home/anoia/backup/repository /var/lib/lxc --ssh-options="-oIdentityFile=/var/backups/.ssh/id_binti" --verbosity 6
- How to back up a Debian system using backupninja? http://xmodulo.com/backup-debian-system-backupninja.html
- Using Duplicity to backup LXC containers https://www.savjee.be/2017/05/Using-Duplicity-to-Backup-LXC-Containers/
- Implement a backup system of livingdata and repository containers (gitlab issue on systerserver) https://git.systerserver.net/collective-anarchaserver/organizing/issues/1
- Roadmap https://git.systerserver.net/collective-anarchaserver/organizing/issues/1
STEP 1 check data usage df -h
STEP 2 check access to another virtual machine
STEP 3 start screen session in root
STEP 4 copy data to virtual machine
rsync -ravz --progress --exclude "/proc" --exclude "/sys" --exclude "/dev" -e "ssh -p 8022" / email@example.com:/var/backups/vm/anarcha
r (recursive) a (archive - for special files) v (verbose) z (compressed)
STEP 5 diagnostics
watch watch -n 180 "du -sh /var/backups/vm/anarcha"
proc/kcore is a special directory which is created each time the computer boots so we have to exclude it from the rsync command
bwm-ng we want to know whether the data is arriving and at which speed, data amount http://linux.die.net/man/1/bwm-ng
apt-get install bwm-ng